Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 19: Night Watch at Rembrandtplein

This morning, the group went out early before class to take a picture at the "Night Watch" statue in Rembrandtplein.



In class today we discussed market strategy. On a 3-mile beach, ice cream vendors would operate at a socially optimal level if an establishment is placed roughly at each mile. Spacial considerations are crucial in determining economic activity. Then we learned that, when picking a spot for your company, you should locate closer to your target market if raw materials are perishable or gain weight as they are processed. You should locate closer to the raw materials if the raw materials or final product lose weight.

Later we started discussing the diamond trade in this area, and I learned that Amsterdam and Antwerp, Belgium were major trade cities back in the day (if they aren't still today) where several diamonds made their way from the coasts of Africa. Amsterdam was originally a trans-shipment point; so to cut costs, diamond cutters and polishers moved here for work.


After class, several of us went to Jamie Oliver's Fifteen restaurant near Centraal Station for lunch. I had a delicious "beef burger from Baambrugge on farmer's white bread with baked onions and pancetta". It was juicy, had great flavor, and the onions and pancetta were cooked perfectly. It just sucks that they forgot my order and had to put it in after all 13 other members of my group started eating. Overall I'd say the burger I had was a 9. One of the best I've ever had. That makes the second burger I've had on this trip to crack my Top 5 favorite burgers; the other being from Burger Meester (pronounced "Meister") around the corner. The service at Fifteen left something to be desired. It became increasingly clear to me by the sparse lunch crowd that this was more of a dinner place, and the service reflected that as well. 4/10 on that front.


On a more cultural note, I've learned recently that department stores and chain restaurants here usually have several floors. The H&M I went to last week had six floors! I've also seen McDonald's, Burger King and Subway with at least two floors. If you go out to eat and order a "club" or deli sandwich, it's popular to put sliced hard-boiled egg on it.

I did an assignment yesterday that involved a side-by-side comparison of prices for certain goods in America and the prices of those same goods in Amsterdam. I've come to find that on the whole, Amsterdam (and Europe in general) is more expensive than the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment